Thursday, October 9, 2008

So what is this blog thing anyway?

So it seems that lots of people have blogs these days, so I thought I'd give it a try. I have written a few things before on Larry's site www.crazyengineer.net, but they got taken down in some site overhaul. I'm not generally a writer in a personal log since of the word. I think that my Mom has been quietly encouraging me to journal since I could write, and has since given up on me. I do scrapbook, so there is some writing that happens, but generally months after the fact, so this will be an attempt at something more in the moment.

For those of you who know me from college, you know that the beginning of my sophomore year I went through the unix way to get my email and when I was there used a little trick from my new boyfriend (his name was Larry) to change my outgoing name on my email and create a new email address for myself. We were all preassigned email addresses when we arrives as freshman, mine was lipshutz@andrew.cmu.edu. I created eryca@cmu.edu as my address, and changed the name that shows up to "Eryca the Great". I thought it was funny, as a joke - becuase I really didn't think I was all that great, but hey, shout it from the rooftops and perhaps it will come true? Who knows.

Anyway, fast forward to senior year, I'm applying for jobs, and I felt that sending email from eryca the great was perhaps not a good career move for all employers. I went back in through unix and eggads! CMU fixed it so we couldn't change our names! Probably becuase college kids were changing their names to drug or sex related names.... silly college kids. Although this was CMU, so it is more likely that the names were something like "Wean Hall Unix Cluster #5" or "D&D72" or "E=MC2" or something really dorky. I wasn't able to change it back, so had to send emails to prosepctive employers from Eryca The Great.

So for those of you close friends and family, you know that Eryca the Great stuck with me, I still get letters addressed to her, and I use it from time to time. Now starting out with this bog, a brand new baby, and new city and job this last December, it feels to me that while Eryca the Great is still around here somewhere, thats not exactly who I am anymore... hence
The Superherione formally known as Eryca The Great is born.
Happy reading!

No comments: