Thursday, October 9, 2008

I can see the moon from my backyard, does that make me an astronaut?

So I'm looking for bumper stickers to show my disgust of Palin. I think I'm going to make one of my own, as I want it to say "Mom's don't let Mom's vote for Palin". In my search, I found a site Zazzle which has all kinds of offensive and funny bumper stickers, regardless of your political leanings. Some of my favorites:
Anti Sarah Palin Bumper Sticker bumpersticker


Sarah Palin, Against our Rights, Against our En... bumpersticker
Pro Women Anti Palin (Obama 2008) bumpersticker
Pit Bulls Against Palin bumpersticker


So use the little wigit and vote for which bumper sticker I should get, including the one I made up.

Another good read on the Palin subject..."The Sarah Palin pity party"
Everyone seems to be oozing sympathy for the fumbling vice-presidential nominee. Please. Cry me a freaking river.
By Rebecca Traister

So as much as I despise this woman who clearly is in over her head and clearly isn't able to hold a rational conversation without sneering and acting weird, I do have some issues with how some of my like minded friends are portraying her.... judging her for her choices with her special needs child and her daughter's engagement to the winner of a boyfriend. My issue is in the focus on judgment and steering away from a conversation about teen pregnancy, prevention, and the lack of abstinence only programs working... the lack of conversation that John McCain could likely not be alive or functioning in 4 years with his 4xs cancer so far... the lack of conversation about special needs children and are we as a country doing enough to support those families dealing with these difficult circumstances. No - instead we judge her for being willing to take on this huge job when she has a special needs child. Well, this pisses me off! If instead of Sarah Palin, we were talking about a Steven Palin, we wouldn't be talking about how dare he run for VP with such a child. In most cases we'd applaud him and his wife for the work they've done with xyz charity that deals with the challenges they've faced.

I don't understand her decisions, and I don't agree with many of them. But my lack of agreeing on any fundamental value with Palin shouldn't allow me the luxury of judging her choices, when I haven't been faced with the same challenges. It does give me the luxury of singing from the rooftops the bad policy decisions she has enacted in a professional capacity, and continuing to do what I can to focus on the issues for both her and her styrofoam looking running mate. I'm for choice - choice on your reproductive system, choice to adopt, choice on how to raise and F*&^up your kids... all I can wish and hope for, is that my fellow neighbors do some informed choice to make the right decision for themselves.

The other thing that irritates me is the assumption that Mom's will run to her as a symbol of us and of course that will sway us. This thought is SO insulting in light of her contrary positions on issues that are important to mothers and families, minor luxuries like universal health care, breastfeeding, equal pay for equal work, paid leave for family leave needs such as maternity leave or a sick parent.

Irony - so McCain stated back several months that there wasn't a pay inequity problem between men and women - that women just needed more education and more training... and then he voted against a bill for equal pay for men and women... and then he chooses this idiot... ironic...

So I see the moon and the moon sees me... NASA here I come.

No comments: